Long ago, owning a smartwatch was the wildest dream and sending a text from it was impossible! What about now? Everyone is sending texts from their smartwatches.
Thanks to the rapid development of technology, a smartwatch is equipped with a built-in microphone, keyboard, etc, which offer the best support for text messaging.
A smartwatch contain a lot of benefits
“But isn’t that the reason why smartphones were born?” Or “If a smartphone can perform all of the texting functions, why would I bother to buy a smartwatch?” We totally understand your concerns so we’re here to tell you that’s not the case!
What makes a smartwatch so appealing?
People prefer being well-informed. They want to feel connected with the world. That’s what makes a smartwatch so attractive. Let’s imagine you could do almost everything on a smartphone without having to pull it out.
A smartwatch also provides discretion. People wish to stay connected but let’s face the truth that not every place is appropriate for using smartphones. Thus, a smartwatch makes it easier for you to check on your messages while you’re in these places.
Or simply you want to “escape” from a boring conversation but the trick of pulling your phone out and pretending somebody is calling is way outdated. That’s when a smartwatch comes to your rescue!
Can you text on a smartwatch?
The answer is 100% Yes! It’s no longer a crazy dream to send a text from a smartwatch. Let’s discover the “art” of sending texts from a smartwatch with us!
Is sending your messages on a smartwatch possible?
Make sure you have a cellular watch
- Step 1: Open the Settings app
- Step 2: Click on connectivity and search for “cellular”
- Step 3: If your watch doesn’t display this option, skip the next step because you don’t have a cellular service
- Step 4: Check if you have:
- Cellular service for your watch: For more information related to phone service, check with your provider.
- A sim card
- Messaging apps from your carriers
Note: The text ability of your watch depends on your carrier and pack of data
Send a text message
● Enter text by speaking
Have you been crazy about all the spy movies with the agent speaking discreetly through their watch during a mission? A smartwatch is going to satisfy that dream of yours.
When you enter text on your smartwatch, the text input options will display on the watch’s screen. Tap the micro icon and speak out the message you want to send.
When you finish, touch the SEND icon. Choose the format of the text you want to send, either by Text or Audio.
Note: When making texts, tap More Options to change the input language. If prefer, scroll down and choose the option “Always send as text” when choosing between Audio or Text
● Enter text by writing or keyboard
If you want to write out your texts, that’s no problem. You are able to write your texts by hands or enter them using the keyboard – just like the flip phones. How amazing is that! A smartwatch has totally replaced the phone on your wrist in terms of the message texting function.
When you enter text on the watch, the texting input options will show automatically. Touch the “Keyboard” symbol. On the first text input screen, you can use your fingers to draw the letters on the screen.
Note: You may need to tap the text input zone to see the options.
If you want to use the keyboard, adhere to these following steps. You may want to rotate the bezel to the right to get access to more types of keyboards: number pad, emoji, symbols, or even microphone to speak a part of the text.
On the keyboard screen, touch the key corresponding to the letter you want to enter. Tap Send when the message is finished.
Besides, smartwatch users can consider using the T9 keyboard. It makes use of predictive text to determine the words you’re about to type. The only thing you need to do is to choose the right word from the list of words that T9 Keyboard suggests.
Rotate the bezel to access the number pad keyboard and symbols. The predictive text function can be turned on or off in Keyboard Settings > Smart typing.
In some applications, this feature is not available so you have to enter your text manually.
● Keyboard Settings
Everyone has their own favorite ways when it comes to typing texts. Some prefer a small vibration when they touch a key, while some find it annoying and hard to concentrate. Don’t worry guys! You are free to alter all types of keyboard settings.
To gain access to the keyboard settings, touch the “Settings” icon on the screen. Another way is to choose Settings, then swipe aside and tap General. Next, touch Input and keyboard settings.
Note: On Smartwatch Gear S3 and Gear Sport, users need to navigate to Settings and find General Management. Touch Enter and then Keyboard Settings.
The following installations are available:
- Select input languages: Turn on or off the languages that you want the keyboard to display.
Note: When creating messages, switch among languages by swiping to the left or right on the language. The turned-on languages will be shown when starting the Keyboard Settings.
- Check updates: Check for language updates for completing downloaded keyboards.
- Handwriting: activate or deactivate the hand-writing message ability.
- Smart typing
- Predictive text: Enable or disable the predictive text feature.
- Auto-spacing: activate or deactivate the function of automatically inserting a blank space between words.
- Auto-capitalize: Enable or disable capitalizing the first letter of every sentence and proper nouns
- Auto-punctuate: Activate or deactivate inserting a period at the end of a sentence when you touch the space bar twice.
- Key-tap feedback:
- Sound: Enable or disable an audible click when touching a key
- Vibration: Activate or deactivate vibration feedback when touching a key
- Reset keyboard settings: install all of the keyboard settings except for the already downloaded languages.
- Erase personal data: erase predictive words and data from other keyboards.
Now sending texts from a smartwatch is no longer impossible. Let’s try out this amazing feature now!